[Mapserver-users] Compiling php_mapscript as build-in module?

Homme Zwaagstra hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 3 07:45:05 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's any way to compile php mapscript as a
built-in module rather than the current external module which needs to
be loaded with the dl() function.

The reason I ask is that we're looking to optimise our mapscript
applications. We have a server with a dedicated mapscript php cgi
binary and it would be beneficial not to have to load the
php_mapscript.so at every page invocation.

I've done some profiling using nusphere's PhpED and the result seems
to be that the function dl('php_mapscript.so') takes on average around
0.05 seconds to load (on slower servers this is obviously longer). Not
much, I know, but every little helps and in simple applications this
can be as much as half the script execution time.

Thoughts?

Homme Zwaagstra