[Mapserver-users] Other MapServer mailing lists

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 16 23:51:12 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> - I've heard from more than a few people that they unsubscribe after their
> question is answered because the traffic is so high.  Do you think new
> users would benefit from a less threatening (lower volume!) newbie list?
> - Would some specific technical areas benefit from having a list (i.e.
> Mapscript)?

The amount of traffic has definitely increased in the last few months to
a point where it's hard to keep up with all the messages. I have never
been a fan of splitting lists but I'm not sure how long we can continue
with a single list.

I like the idea of the newbie list but the problem I see is that if
there are no power users on it then who will answer the newbie
questions? Another issue with multiple lists is cross-posting which just
makes the problem worse for those who want to be on all lists.

> - Would an "announcement only" list be useful?
>
> What do you others on the list think?

For sure I think we should create an announcement list right away which
would be moderated to make sure it receives only announcements and
remains very low traffic.  All users could subscribe to this one as a
minimum and stay informed of new releases. That's what I normally do
with packages that I only use and in which I am not actively involved.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca