[Mapserver-users] Other MapServer mailing lists

Manfred Meier m.meier at spiekermann.de
Thu Jun 17 00:43:44 EDT 2004

Hi Tyler and others,

- I think it is a good idea to separate the questions and discussions
into  three or four mailing lists. But i would not think, that "newbie"
or not "newbie" is the right criterium. I can learn from messages even
if i do not understand them to the last bit.

- The different lists should be created by the theme like (as you said)
"mapscript", "postgis and wms specific", perhaps "raster data".

Instead of creating a newbie list, i think it would be better to make a
FAQ page with a lot of reciepes. The mail archive is for a newbie of
less use.

- I don't know what an "announcement only" list is. Perhaps someone can
explain.

- The quality of answers is sometimes good and sometimes not. But the
quality of questions is more not so good. Sometimes i have not an idea,
what the people are asking for. But I don't know, how to improve that.

- My personal opinion: I do learn a lot from looking over the mailing
lists. I'm relatively new to mapserver and have a lot of problems
understanding the philosophy behind mapserver and perl/mapscript and
often i don't know why something is not working. The documentation is
not a big help because it covers mostly details and not the structure of
the system and the co-working between the classes. But because I did not
contribute to mapserver anything until now, i may not complain.

- And i have a question: How do the people like you and the others with
a high rate of answering output take the time for this????

- And at last: When new lists will be created, could you please replace
the relativ long prefix "[Mapserver-users]" by a shorter one? So I can
see more of the subject text. But a reference to "mapserver" should be
included.

Thank you
Manfred