[Mapserver-users] Why Mapserver GML does not validate with XMLSpy

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 17 12:34:33 EDT 2004

Hi Daniel,

the guys at Altova (XMLSpy) seem to have a different opinion on this
subject, see:

http://www.altova.com/forum/forums/forum.asp?forumid=28&page=1&select=4262#xx4262xx

-----------------------
Excerpt from the forum:
-----------------------
Hello Bart,

When I previously said that it was a 'bad' URL I meant that when I
requested it with a web client the server responded with an HTTP error
code. This seems to be working now.

Your instance document contains the escaped ampersand:
&

...otherwise it would not be valid - the unescaped ampersand not being
allowed in this context:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#syntax

...so this is the URL:
http://www.vz.geodan.nl:1112/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w_20/apps/general/map/gemeentes.map&SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST=DescribeFeatureType&TYPENAME=Gemeentes

...being sent to the server. This is a perfectly valid construction:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200104/msg01061.html

...that your CGI application or web server seems to be having problems
handling correctly.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paul