[Mapserver-users] Why Mapserver GML does not validate with XMLSpy

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 17 14:23:53 EDT 2004

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> the guys at Altova (XMLSpy) seem to have a different opinion on this
> subject, see:
>
> http://www.altova.com/forum/forums/forum.asp?forumid=28&page=1&select=4262#xx4262xx

Different opinion on what?  They wrote that the ampersand needs to be
escaped in the instance document, which is exactly in line with what I
wrote. I also added that the client needs to unescape the string
*before* calling the server and they suggest that this is what is being
done:

> ...so this is the URL:
> http://www.vz.geodan.nl:1112/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w_20/apps/general/map/gemeentes.map&SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST=DescribeFeatureType&TYPENAME=Gemeentes
>

> ...being sent to the server. This is a perfectly valid construction:
>
> http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200104/msg01061.html
>
> ...that your CGI application or web server seems to be having problems
> handling correctly.

... if I click on the URL above I see a XML schema as expected from a
DescribeFeatureType response. So what's the problem exactly? What does
he mean by "having problems handling correctly"?

Perhaps I missed something obvious at the beginning? Is it that the
schema that is returned is not valid?

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca