[Mapserver-users] Re: ogr broken perhaps? Problems with on-the-fly and other projections.

Andrew selkiesdad at twcny.rr.com
Fri May 28 07:52:52 EDT 2004

One more try :

I know there is an answer to this, and I am certain it has been
encountered before unless it is simply a subtle problem with my compile
of ogr.

The ogr2ogr utility and, I assume, the mapserve cgi, project my state
plane either incorrectly or with some transformation of the origin. I
don't know how this might be characterized but the shifted coordinates
are as reported (and quoted below). The associated eastings are :UTM
500000m, STP 150000 feet. I assume the problem is related to the use of
decimal degrees in the UTM file and the false eastings and northings of
both files or the fact that the transformed STP file reports units as
meters and not feet, but I don't know how to test this. The original
shape files for the STP projection should be in feet, but the world file
and embedded georeferenceing info in the tifff don't list the projection
type name or northings/eastings, though they are included in the
PROJECTION section of the mapfile. I could try to use the proj.4
commands to project the locations in each dbf file and then use the
results as a replacement shapefile, but I prefer to learn why the
on-the-fly and manual transforms differ from the expected region. Any
help would be appreciated, since my project requires these datasets and
the use of (to-be-projected) lat/lon locations from other research.

quote from previous post:

The coordinate shifts in the projected shape file after using ogr2ogr
compared to the correct region settings are:

original lon/lat (-75.860047, 44.050400) - (-74.525683, 45.015850) --->
( add this: decimal degrees in a meter-referenced UTM projection)
converted state plane (-406072.543743, -4299527.573525) -
(-406071.208006, -4229526.607082) ---> (add this: reports as meters in
what should be foot units)
Ref map base state plane (312000.0, 2092000.0) - (390000.0, 2168000.0)
---> (add this: reports no units, assumed feet due to documentation for
STP NY east zone.)

lat lon comes from a UTM Zone 18N NAD83 GRS80 system (epsg:26918)
state plane is NY East zone (epsg:32115)