Can ArcIMS consume WMS/WFS services?

Judd, Chris Chris.Judd at DEP.STATE.FL.US
Wed Sep 1 09:25:42 EDT 2004

Paul,

You're right.  Here is the response from my ESRI support request.

-----

In answer to your question about whether ArcIMS accepts WMS services as an
input the answer is that it can not.  This is a feature that others have
expressed interest in and the request does have a tracking id of CQ00239065.
The problem is that it does require pretty significant work to the spatial
server and some re-architecting of the spatial server.  Right now work isn't
being undertaken, but it isn't off the radar either.

        I have added your interest for this functionality to the request.

        One approach is to use cascading style sheets in your web application
to layer two WMS output images from different sources on top of one another
with the top one having a transparent background.

        Another approach is that ArcMap Server does serve up data from other
IMS servers (though not WMS, not even with the interoperability extension).
So if the other site you want to serve up is an ArcIMS site you may be able
to consume their service through ArcMap Server.

----

Bummer.

Chris