Oracle Spatial Performance

Judd, Chris Chris.Judd at DEP.STATE.FL.US
Sun Sep 26 12:43:22 EDT 2004

You could see if it is an issue w/ Oracle by running a trace and see if it
has significant wait times.  Also if you have ArcSDE and ArcView you could
register the layer with ArcSDE, draw it in with ArcView and see if you still
have a performace issue.  You wouldn't suspect it was an issue with scale,
project or extent would you?

You could also test with a very small layer.  FDEP's experience with Oracle
and Mapserver is that performance is at least as good with Oracle Spatial as
it was with ArcSDE.

Hope this helps,

-Chris

	-----Original Message-----
	From: UMN MapServer Users List on behalf of Smith, Michael
ERDC-CRREL-NH
	Sent: Sun 9/26/2004 8:47 AM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Oracle Spatial Performance

	It is also very important for performance reasons to increase the
array size in maporaclespatial.c and recompile. We generally recommend
setting array size to ~ 1000. We generally see an order of magnitude increase
in speed with this change.

	Mike Smith
	USACE-CRREL
	Remote Sensing GIS Center of Expertise