Projections and WMS servers

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Sep 28 11:01:46 EDT 2004

Nico -

Can you send the URL of the WMS server you're using?  The only service I can find on that site is a WFS feature service.

You need to be able describe the projection of the data coming from the WMS service, and MapServer will request the data in that projection (which must, of course, be a supported projection on that server).

You will have two types of PROJECTION blocks in your map file.  You should have one for each LAYER, describing the native projection in which that layer's data is stored.  And you should have one at the top level of your map file, indicating what *output* projection should be used in producing the requested map.

The PROJECTION block below is superficially OK, but it's certainly not the Monte Mario projection (a central longitude of -155 is a highly non-Italian location).  The EPSG 26591 projection is defined as:

  <26591>
    proj=tmerc
    lat_0=0.000000000
    lon_0=9.000000000
    k=0.999600
    x_0=1500000.000
    y_0=0.000
    ellps=intl
    units=m
    no_defs
  <>

and those are rather different numbers.  Where possible, you can use the EPSG projection definition directly as:

PROJECTION
  "init=epsg:26951"
END

This greatly reduces the risk of typos, at the expense of making the projection definition more cryptic.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.