Continuous grids using OGR and OpenDAP

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 25 17:34:00 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Ryan Boyles <ryan_boyles at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> This one is probably for Frank W. -
>
> Is there a way to display continuous grids in Mapserver via a GDAL/OGR
> connection to an OpenDAP server?
>
> I have gridded precipitation observations available through a OpenDAP server
> http://gulfstream.meas.ncsu.edu:9090/dods/mpe/
>
> I found a reference on the Mapserver Wiki to display the gridded values
> as points, and I've made this work - no problem.
>
> But I need to display as a continuous grid or raster, not as thousands
> of discrete points. Searching the listserve archives, there doesn't seem
> to be a success story available for guidance.

Ryan,

Instead of accessing the grid via OGR, instead you can use a TYPE RASTER
layer, and use the corresponding GDAL access.   I tried:

gdalinfo 'http://gulfstream.meas.ncsu.edu:9090/dods/mpe/200201.01h?apcpsfc[0][x][y]'

Unfortunately, this isn't working for me.  But I'm not sure if this is due to
my recent upgrade to a more recent DODS version or if it is something
about the server.

I don't really have time to dig into this just now, but I can come back
to it you can't get things working.

PS. I would encourage you to use GDAL 1.3.0 if you aren't already.

PPS. DODS GDAL access info is at:

  http://www.gdal.org/frmt_dods.html

Best regards,