NOAA Digital Raster Charts in BSB, any guidance on use with mapserver?

Gary Watry watry at COAPS.FSU.EDU
Mon Dec 5 13:47:14 EST 2005

The NOAA Coastal Service Center has a free program called chart projector
that will convert the format from BSB to Geotiff and you can set the
projection output as well.

Gary L. Watry

GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 215
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840

E-Mail: watry at coaps.fsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Paul Turner
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:34 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] NOAA Digital Raster Charts in BSB, any
guidance on use with mapserver?

Howdy,

For 'free', both NOAA and Maptech have released the BSB versions of the
NOAA raster charts - on NOAA's site, looks like around 1012 files. I've
downloaded a couple of hundred and I'm wondering how best to manage this
as there are maps with differing resolutions covering the same areas.
I'm sure this is a solved problem so I'm hoping some kind soul out there
might provide me with some guidance on how best to configure a map file
to display these images in mapserver taking into account varying scales
of these images - and here I'm aware of min/maxscale  - like I need to
sort the files according to map scale and generate indexes for each
group. Has someone already made a bundle of these guys? Bittorrent? Is
there a WMS server (my preference)?

In case this is news, here are the links:

Lots of clicking, fast server

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/Index.htm

Slow server, signup required
http://www.freeboatingcharts.com