Serving MrSidd images

Larry Shaffer larry at SHAFFERINTERACTIVE.COM
Thu Dec 8 16:56:10 EST 2005

Lawrence,

You can download the LizardTech MrSID Decode program and make your MrSID
files into GeoTIFFs.

http://www.lizardtech.com/download/dl_options.php?page=tools

To use GDAL with MrSID support, it has to be compiled in from the start
(using the SDK for MrSID). If you are using a prebuilt binary, this may
not be available. Your best bet is to turn them into GeoTIFFs, or, better
yet, search for original GeoTIFFs of your MrSID files - I have found
MrSID files to have too many artifacts in their compression. For example,
the compression applied to many USGS Aerial MrSID files is usually so
much that the quality is poorer than those generated by Terraserver! A
Mapserver-tiled 8-bit GeoTIFF should be better (than any compression
advantages MrSID supplies at high bit sizes) in quality when one zooms in
- in my opinion.

--
Larry

# Travis Kirstine GIS Tech <tkirstine at JDBARNES.COM> emailed the following
#   on Thu, Dec 8, 2005 at 2:56 PM (12:56 PM South Dakota, USA):