Raster Analysis and MapServer

Lowell.Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Fri Dec 23 10:17:13 EST 2005

Blammo writes:

> A thought, what about exposing the tool as a Web Service, similar call to
> MapServer, only via a WebService.  This would help out with the
> Thread/Safe issue too as Apache keeps this things generally under control.
>  Large processes that take some time, might be a problem for Timeouts.
> It's just a thought.
>
> I actually thought about this last year when we were first starting out
> with our Services architecture at the City.
>

> bobb
>
> Lowell.Filak wrote:
>
>> Martin, Aaron, & others.
>>
>> This is good news.
>> I have been trying to get processes like this documented to the wiki
>> (before the spamming) and to the new site by replying to emails such as
>> these.
>> I finally gave up in favor of hiring a contractor to develop a
>> (hopefully) uniform scripting language interface between MapScript &
>> GRASS. As a result please expect to be contacted by the aforementioned
>> contractor during the upcoming feasibility study.

Bob,

Good points. As far as timeouts go, any lengthy process could cause timeout
issues no matter if it's a web service or connected on the back-end. The
timeout would just cascade to the front-end anyways.
I believe the grass-server project (which I can't locate now) intended to
supply a web service of sorts but was very limited (raster & read-only).? I
think it was based on grasslib... But then that's what the feasibility study
is for.

Lowell