map file access problems

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Feb 9 12:06:32 EST 2005

Mark -

I'm going to guess that U: is a mapped network drive.  If that's the
case, remember that your Web applications run in the context of the
anonymous Web user account (the IUSR_<machinename> account) by default.
As a security measure, that account has no access to network resources.

It also won't have a default drive mapping unless you create one.  Just
because YOU have drive U: connected when you log in doesn't mean it's
available for another user.

If you're "very new" to MapServer, it's easier to get started with local
files first, just so you have one less variable to deal with.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Mark Andrle
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 10:23 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] map file access problems

Hello,

I very new to mapserver and I'm having problems getting mapserver to
access the map file.

When I execute http://s-cnbml350:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?
map=u:\wwwroot\home.map&mode=map I receive a message of  msLoadMap():
Unable to access file. (u:\wwwroot\home.map)

We are using Windows XP and IIS.  Could this be a permission problem?

Thank You
Mark Andrle