Layers do not show up?

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Thu Feb 10 16:25:22 EST 2005

It's not generally a good idea to put all of your files in the cgi-bin directory.   You should only have the mapserv directory there, and your other files in your normal html directory like /var/www/<directory>   or something like that.    The Imagepath is the complete path to the temp directory where your map images will be stored... the ImageURL would be the URL to the images.   For example you might have something like

Imagepath  /var/www/map/tmp
ImageURL /map/tmp.

The fontset is only used for labels if you have any text labels on your map.

Your legend likely doesn't show up because you haven't named any of your classes.   Only named classes will show up on a legend.

-Jeff

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: w m
  To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 3:44 PM
  Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Layers do not show up?

  Hi,
  I was making a simple map file.  I'm able to display the map, but when i add the "landcover" layers, they don't show up on the map. I'm not sure why it doesn't show up???
  Also, does it matter if I include the fontset? what is it used for?
  WHat is the purpose of IMAGEPATH and IMAGEURL? If I don't include these it doesn't make a difference. Why is that?
  The legend doesn't show up either.
   It can be viewed here: http://132.205.108.60

  I put all my files in the cgi-bin along with mapserver.

  NAME europe

  STATUS ON

  IMAGETYPE PNG

  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255 # white background

  EXTENT 407.997812 4103475.750 443135.000 4157027.250

  #FONTSET "/usr/local/etc/htdocs/mapserver/fonts/fonts.list"

  SIZE 500 500

  SHAPEPATH "/var/www/cgi-bin"

  # Set your template file to the name of YOUR template file

  # you can leave the image path and image URL alone

  WEB

  TEMPLATE "/var/www/html/index.html"

  IMAGEPATH "/usr/local/etc/htdocs/tmp/"

  IMAGEURL "/tmp/"

  END

  LEGEND

            STATUS ON

          LABEL

  TYPE TRUETYPE

  FONT arial

  COLOR 0 0 0

  SIZE 10

  ANTIALIAS TRUE

  END

  END

  # LAYER DEFINITIONS ---------------------------------------------

  LAYER

  NAME "myoutline"

  DATA europa

  STATUS DEFAULT # Show the layer at all times

  TYPE LINE

  CLASS

  COLOR 0 0 0

  OUTLINECOLOR 255 120 60

  END

  END

  LAYER

  NAME "credits"

  STATUS DEFAULT

  TRANSFORM FALSE

  TYPE ANNOTATION

  FEATURE

  POINTS

  50 480 # changes the location of the text

  END

  TEXT 'Europe Map'

  END

  CLASS

  LABEL

  TYPE BITMAP

  POSITION CR

  COLOR 255 120 60

  END

  END

  END

  LAYER #

  NAME "mylandcover"

  DATA nhtm93s3

  STATUS ON # show layer, but allow it to be turned off

  TYPE POLYGON # choices for type are POLYGON, LINE and POINT

  CLASSITEM "LANDCOVER"

  CLASS # water

  NAME "Water"

  EXPRESSION 'Water' # match only those where [landcover]='Water'

  COLOR 225 225 255

  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

  END

  CLASS # grassland

  NAME "Grassland"

  EXPRESSION /Planted*/ # search for landcovers starting with Planted

  COLOR 0 240 0

  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

  END

  CLASS # forest