libcurl dependencies with Fedora Linux

Dale Trexel trex0003 at UMN.EDU
Fri Feb 11 01:21:19 EST 2005

Hello,

I am trying to get the basic CGI MapServer 4.4.1 up and running on a
Fedora Linux server. My main source of files has been the mappinghacks
rpm site (http://www.mappinghacks.com/rpm/apt/fedora/2/RPMS.mh/), but
I have had to search elsewhere for some libraries that don't appear
there. I appear to have everyting in place to install MapServer except
libcurl. Testing the MapServer install with:

  rpm -i -vv --test mapserv*

seems to chug along fine until it reaches:

  error: Failed dependencies:
          libcurl.so.2 is needed by mapserver-4.4.1-mh1.i686

I previously downloaded curl from the Fedora rpm download site and
ended up with libcurl.so.3 rather than libcurl.so.2. Do I have to go
back to an earlier version of curl, or can MapServer handle
libcurl.so.3 with some effort on my part?

-Dale