gdal initial support for mrsid

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 14 10:32:06 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:41:03 +0100, joerg pfeiffer <superbla3000 at gmx.net> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I just read that gdal 1.2.5 has now 'Initial support for writing to
> MrSID with encoding SDK. '
>
> Can I now also open mrsid files directly and display them with
> mapserver, without converting them before to geotiff or without
> installing the lizardtech sdk?

Joerg,

The comment about the encoding SDK relates to using GDAL to
write MrSID files.  It sounds like what you want is to be able to
read MrSID files in Mapserver but delivery the final render map
in a more conventional format (like gif, png or jpeg).   That is something
that has been available for a while, assuming your mapserver and
gdal are built accordingly.

I would add that with the encoding support, it is in theory possible
to have MapServer return mrsid images to the browser, and with the
appropriate plugin to your browser to display them directly there.
I haven't tried this myself yet but it is an interesting option.

Best regards,