Fwd: Announcement (Fishery GIS Symposium, Publication, Logo & Cover designs)

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Mon Feb 14 19:37:43 EST 2005

This may be of interest to some here...

Some background:

I presented a paper on fishery data visualisation based on GMT & OpenDX at the
2001 Symposium. It was very well received, with the interest being at least as
much on the fact that this could be done with free software as the actual
visualisations (sigh!).

Given the proportion of attendees from 3rd world countries, the idea that you
could do all this GIS stuff without keeping Microsoft & ESRI profits up was
quite exciting. In his closing speech, the keynote speaker commented that the
future of fisheries GIS may well lie more with OS than commercial/closed source
software.

I agreed to prepare a 2nd paper for the proceedings, describing how a GIS for
fisheries work could be implemented using just free (as in speech :-) data &
software.

Given the upcoming conference is in China may make the presentation of OS GIS
capabilities even more appropriate.

I hope to be there & to present a paper describing a fisheries GIS set up with
PostGIS, QGIS & GMT. I'd love to see others from the OS GIS community
presenting a paper/poster or demo there as well!!

Cheers,

  Brent Wood