textual data from nquery missing characters (german umlauts)

Frank Rittinger gis at SCHNEGG.NET
Fri Feb 18 03:37:03 EST 2005

Hello list,

I'm moving a mapserver application from Windows to Linux (SUSE 9.2).
When I'm doing an nquery, the textual data returned by mapserver has
screwed up umlaut characters.  They are missing or are replaced by '?'.

The data I'm querying is MapInfo TAB files produced under Windows but I
also tried to convert them to Shape format; which has the same effect.

My mapserver is version 4.4.0.

The archives didn't bring up anything.  Does anyone have an idea how
this can be fixed?

Cheers  Frank