Tiger Line Data

Hermawan Sutantio hermawan_s at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 28 20:31:26 EST 2005

Hi all.
I might need some more help.
Based on the recommendation that Stephen gave, I tried to compile 2 counties
in michigan using the commands recommended. Below is the michigan.map file
that i generated. Please help me review them whether anything is wrong.
Thanks.

FONTSET "C:\MS4W\apps\maplab-2.2\tutorial\etc\fonts.list"
#
# Start of map file
#
NAME Michigan
STATUS ON
SIZE 500 500
UNITS DD
EXTENT -84.133748 42.072069 -83.539394 42.4345936
SHAPEPATH "C:\cygwin\hcslmap\data\tiger"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

#
# Start of web interface definition
#
WEB
#
# On Windows systems, /tmp and /tmp/ms_tmp/ should be created at the root
# of the drive where the .MAP file resides.
#
  IMAGEPATH "C/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"
  IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
#  LOG "/tmp/gmap.log"

  TEMPLATE demo.html
  METADATA
    "TITLE"   "Michigan Test Demo"
  END
END

#
# Start of legend
#
LEGEND
  KEYSIZE 18 12
  LABEL
    TYPE BITMAP
    SIZE MEDIUM
    COLOR 0 0 89
  END
  STATUS OFF
END

#
# Start of scalebar
#
SCALEBAR
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  LABEL
    COLOR 0 0 0
    SIZE SMALL
  END
  SIZE 150 4
  COLOR 255 255 255
  BACKGROUNDCOLOR 0 0 0
  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
  UNITS miles
  INTERVALS 3
  STATUS ON
END

#
# Querymap settings
#
# Style is one of NORMAL, HILITE, or SELECTED
#

QUERYMAP
  STYLE HILITE
  COLOR 255 0 0
END

#
# Start of layer definitions
#

LAYER
  NAME Street_Map
  TYPE LINE
  STATUS ON
  TILEINDEX "C:\cygwin\hcslmap\data\tiger\mich-tile.shp"
  CLASS
    NAME "Street_Map"
  END
END # Layer

END #map

Herman Teo wrote:
>Hi Stephen,
>
>Thanks for the tip. I'm now scouring through the previous list
>messages for 'tile' commands. There is not much of that going on. Is
>there a sample code where I might be able to learn how I should
>proceed with shape tiling and a sniff of a LAYER...END code in the
>map file. Also, is any of these tiger line on sale somewhere so that
>I might not have to download 300k files as you said. Thanks a lot.

Herman,

There are two different tiling commands:

1) tile4ms which is distributed as part of the mapserver source and is
documented on the mapserver utilities page of the website. It is used to
tiling shapefiles. The easiest way to use it is to putt all the data you
want to tile in a directory tree located in your SHAPEPATH directory.
Then on Linux do something like:

find data_dir -name "*.shp" > data_dir.in
tile4ms data_dir.in data-tile
shptree data-tile
cat data_dir.in | xargs -n 1 shptree

Then in your mapfile do something like:

LAYER
   NAME "my tile data"
   TYPE whatever
   TILEINDEX data-tile
   CLASS
   END
END

One of the caveats of this is that all the shapefiles in the index MUST
have the SAME attributes and order of attributes and they must be all
the same type.

2) For tiling images you should use gdaltindex which is distributed as
part of the gdal libraries and tools. The concept is similar to the
above and I documented it on the wiki at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RasterHOWTO
in the Bathymetry and Topography HowTo link and others have added a lot
more info there.