Tiger Line Data

Mon Feb 28 23:28:34 EST 2005

Hermawan,

See comments below

Hermawan Sutantio wrote:
> Hi all.
> I might need some more help.
> Based on the recommendation that Stephen gave, I tried to compile 2
> counties
> in michigan using the commands recommended. Below is the michigan.map file
> that i generated. Please help me review them whether anything is wrong.
> Thanks.

You need to start your mapfile with:

MAP

> FONTSET "C:\MS4W\apps\maplab-2.2\tutorial\etc\fonts.list"
> #
> # Start of map file
> #
> NAME Michigan
> STATUS ON
> SIZE 500 500
> UNITS DD
> EXTENT -84.133748 42.072069 -83.539394 42.4345936
> SHAPEPATH "C:\cygwin\hcslmap\data\tiger"
> IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
>

> #
> # Start of web interface definition
> #
> WEB
> #
> # On Windows systems, /tmp and /tmp/ms_tmp/ should be created at the root
> # of the drive where the .MAP file resides.
> #
>  IMAGEPATH "C/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"

Are you missing a ":" as in "C:"

>  IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
> #  LOG "/tmp/gmap.log"
>
>  TEMPLATE demo.html
>  METADATA
>    "TITLE"   "Michigan Test Demo"
>  END
> END
>

> #
> # Start of legend
> #
> LEGEND
>  KEYSIZE 18 12
>  LABEL
>    TYPE BITMAP
>    SIZE MEDIUM
>    COLOR 0 0 89
>  END
>  STATUS OFF
> END
>
> #
> # Start of scalebar
> #
> SCALEBAR
>  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
>  LABEL
>    COLOR 0 0 0
>    SIZE SMALL
>  END
>  SIZE 150 4
>  COLOR 255 255 255
>  BACKGROUNDCOLOR 0 0 0
>  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
>  UNITS miles
>  INTERVALS 3
>  STATUS ON
> END
>
> #
> # Querymap settings
> #
> # Style is one of NORMAL, HILITE, or SELECTED
> #
>
> QUERYMAP
>  STYLE HILITE
>  COLOR 255 0 0
> END
>
> #
> # Start of layer definitions
> #
>
> LAYER
>  NAME Street_Map
>  TYPE LINE
>  STATUS ON

STATUS ON says that you can display the layer, but not that it WILL be
desplayed. Until you understand this, I would use
    STATUS DEFAULT

>  TILEINDEX "C:\cygwin\hcslmap\data\tiger\mich-tile.shp"
>  CLASS
>    NAME "Street_Map"

You probably need to specify the color and style of the line. Try
      COLOR 0 0 0 # black
      SIZE 1      # one pixel width