All Tiger data for download?

Ian Erickson ierickson at ANALYGIS.COM
Thu Mar 3 21:24:44 EST 2005

The TIGER data, as others have suggested, is undergoing an update - the
MAF/TIGER Improvement project.  The company that won the bid (and
correct me if I'm wrong) was Harris Corporation.  The goal of the
project is to correct the abysmally inaccurate address ranges for road
segments, add new roads and data to the existing TIGER base, and correct
the centerline street data to an accuracy better than 12 meters.  I
think the results of the 411 counties that are complete has yeilded an
accuracy of 7 meters or so.  If you're looking for an example of old
versus new, take a look at the screen shots included as part of our web
site.

http://www.analygis.com/products/roadrunner.htm

I really don't believe that any of our products are a viable solution
for anyone on this list (as you all have access to ogr2ogr and other
goodies), but our product is targeted at those individuals that are
required to spend in the neighborhood of $15,000 for a national-level
street file from other commercial vendors and are not that technically
savy.

If you're looking to translate the data, the easy answer is to use ogr,
or as was suggested earlier, buy the TGR2SHP utility and do it
yourself.  I was able to pull the entire TIGER dataset from the Census
bureau is less than a day with a 1.5Mb DSL connection.

- Ian

--
Ian Erickson
AnalyGIS, LLC