Spatial Extent and Projection

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at XS4ALL.NL
Sat Mar 19 14:37:36 EST 2005

Hi,

1)

I am assuming you have a dataset for Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA, or not?

If so, you can use gdalinfo (for raster data) or ogrinfo (for vector data)
to get an extent. E.g.

ogrinfo -summary myshape.shp

For more info see:

ogrinfo:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_utilities.html

gdalinfo:
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html#gdalinfo

2)

The easiest way to use PROJ.4 within Mapserver is using EPSG codes for
projections. You can also define projections through parameters such as
ellipsoid etc.

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc44/mapfile-reference.html#projection

There is a file which contains epsg codes, for instance for Netherlands we
use EPSG:28992, the entry in the epsg file of proj is (this format is
called WKT):

# Amersfoort / RD New
<28992> +proj=stere +lat_0=52.15616055555555 +lon_0=5.38763888888889
+k=0.999908 +x_0=155000 +y_0=463000 +ellps=bessel +units=m +no_defs
no_defs <>

If I want to use this in Mapserver I use:

PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:28992"
END

You can define projection objects for every LAYER (defining the source
projection of your data), and at the MAP level (defining which projection
you want to use for your output map).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Bart