making efficient map layers

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Mar 23 13:11:31 EST 2005

Jeff et al. -

I'd generally agree here, with the caveat that having lots of little
shapefiles with a tileindex isn't *necessarily* a bad thing.  I don't
know how many roads fit your filter criteria, but if you end up with
30,000 shapefiles each with one feature each, you didn't win <g>.

The main goal of an index is to discard all the features that can't
possibly be needed for the requested map.  Creating a tileindex for a
group of shapefiles and/or a quadtree index for a single shapefile will
do you no good if your requested map requires you to draw all the
features anyway.

So there's a balance between the data organization and the nature of
your display.  Here's a good paradigm:

1. Any map request should open as few shapefiles as possible.
2. Any map request should use as many features as possible from each
shapefile.

Part 2 doesn't mean you should modify your map design to draw
unnecessary features.  It just means that you should organize your data
so all your eggs are in the same basket for rendering a given map, and
that you should be able to quickly ignore all the data you don't need.
There's overhead in opening a shapefile, so there's a benefit in
batching things into a few shapefiles, but only if you don't then have
to ignore most of the stuff in any given shapefile.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.