Architecture of my site: Chameleon, MapLab, MapScript, etc. What should I use

Bart van den Eijnden BEN at SYNCERA-ITSOLUTIONS.NL
Mon May 2 07:29:08 EDT 2005

Hi,

Maplab is a tool mainly aimed at creating and managing Mapserver MAP files.

Mapscript is a SWIG-based (http://www.swig.org) or PHP interface to the Mapserver C core.

Chameleon is based on PHP/Mapscript (PHP/Mapscript is the engine of Chameleon) and is a toolkit to build webmapping applications fast using templates. ALl the functionality you need is part of Chameleon.

You can create your own Mapscript application, but it's a lot faster to build an application using Chameleon in my opinion.

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera-ITSolutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl

>>> Rodrigo Tomasi <rtcastro2 at GMAIL.COM> 05/02/05 01:14pm >>>
Hi,

I m searching for the best architecture for my MapServer site.

I m with difficult to understand what is the difference between these
tools: Chameleon, MapLab, MapScript. Can anyone point me in the right
direction or send some documentation ?

My page will run on Windows. I want to build a page with PHP that will
display a mapfile with about 150 layers on Oracle Spatial or
Shapefile, with the following commands:

- Zoom in
- Zoom Out
- Full Extent
- Pan
- Identify
- Measure Distance
- Layer s list loaded from mapfile and divided into groups (vector and raster)
- Show/Hide layer

Users will enter in the site by entering the main page (overview) or
by making a query on a Table and the clicking on "View Map" button
(direct view).

The page will be part of an Environmental Information System.

Any ideas ? What s the best option to me ?
I have experience in ArcIMS (C# Development), so I think when I
understand the architecture things will clear more rapidly.

Thanks in advance,

    Rodrigo