Raster DEMs and MapServer

Travis Kirstine GIS Tech tkirstine at JDBARNES.COM
Fri May 6 17:05:35 EDT 2005

I was hoping someone could provide me with some basic info regarding raster
dataset. I want to display a regional DEM covering approximatly 270000 sq km
with the ability to allow the user to query the elevation in Mapserver.
What raster format would be the best allowing me to retain the elevation
data but also provide maximum drawing speed.  I haven't yet created the
dem's (I'll be using ESRI's Spatial Analyst and 3d Analyst)and don't want to
waste time producing a product that is useless.
Thanks for your time
Travis Kirstine