message from Listserv rated as SPAM by Spamassasin

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sat May 14 08:42:54 EDT 2005

Marty -

Or you could ask your ISP to fix their SPAM settings.....

Are the scores listed below supposed to be the scores you're getting
from a MapServer message?  By far the largest "penalty" appears to be
saying that the message came from a .BIZ TLD address - and that's not
correct for a message from mapserver-users at lists.umn.edu

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Marty Moloney
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:14 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] message from Listserv rated as SPAM by
Spamassasin

Hi There,

just though I'd post this - it may be helpful if someone can modify the
email settins for this listserv based on the informaton herein.

I was expecting to receive my usual message from the MapServer listserv
but didn't because Spamassasin (a very common SPAM utility) detected the
message as SPAM.

Spamassasin uses rules/points, which it scores based on based on the
message content to decide what is/is not SPAM.  My host has set
Spamassasin so that if a message gets more than 5 "points" then it is
not sent through to me.  Maybe other people are also missing out on
their MapServer messages becuase of this.

I have copied the analysis from Spamassis below.  Perhaps the simplest
thing to do would be to

1. make the emails text/html and not html only.
2. use some lower-case characters in the "from" address.

here are the scores...

 1.0 FROM_NO_LOWER          From address has no lower-case characters
 2.2 BIZ_TLD                URI: Contains an URL in the BIZ top-level
domain
 0.5 HTML_60_70             BODY: Message is 60% to 70% HTML
 1.0 HTML_TAG_EXIST_TBODY   BODY: HTML has "tbody" tag
 1.2 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
 0.0 HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML

Yours truly,

Marty