message from Listserv rated as SPAM by Spamassasin

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Mon May 16 09:00:51 EDT 2005

The following message was sent by Marty Moloney <martymoloney at SATDS.NET>
on Sat, 14 May 2005 06:14:24 -0500.

> Hi There,
>
> just though I'd post this - it may be helpful if someone can modify the
> email settins for this listserv based on the informaton herein.
>
> I was expecting to receive my usual message from the MapServer
listserv but
> didn't because Spamassasin (a very common SPAM utility) detected the
> message as SPAM.
>
> Spamassasin uses rules/points, which it scores based on based on the
> message content to decide what is/is not SPAM.  My host has set
Spamassasin
> so that if a message gets more than 5 "points" then it is not sent through
> to me.  Maybe other people are also missing out on their MapServer
messages
> becuase of this.
>
> I have copied the analysis from Spamassis below.  Perhaps the simplest
> thing to do would be to
>
> 1. make the emails text/html and not html only.
> 2. use some lower-case characters in the "from" address.
>
> here are the scores...
>
>  1.0 FROM_NO_LOWER          From address has no lower-case characters
>  2.2 BIZ_TLD                URI: Contains an URL in the BIZ top-level
domain
>  0.5 HTML_60_70             BODY: Message is 60% to 70% HTML
>  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>  1.0 HTML_TAG_EXIST_TBODY   BODY: HTML has "tbody" tag
>  1.2 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
>  0.0 HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML
>
> Yours truly,

Marty,

Just whitelist MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU (possibly added to
/etc/amavisd.conf under "whitelist_sender" or "Email Sender
Block/Accept" on a Barracuda).

HTH

Lowell