Python Mapscript

Paul Scott pscott at UWC.AC.ZA
Tue May 17 12:21:13 EDT 2005

Thanks! I'll go and get FWTools, and give it a shot!

Appreciate the help!

--Paul

On 5/17/05, Paul Scott <pscott at uwc.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have decided to try my hand at a little Python Mapscript, after
using
> PHP Mapscript for about 3 years, but am having some trouble building
it.

> I executed python setup.py build as per the wiki instructions, but
> received a ld error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmap
>
> and then gcc exits.

Paul,

Have you already built mapserver?  Do you have a libmap.a in the
main mapserver directory?

> Am I missing a library or something?
>
> Mapserver is v 4.4.1 on RH9 (shrike)...
>
> Alternatively is there a pre-built python mapscript somewhere that I
can
> use? I just want to try my hand at it for now...

You can grab the FWTools build which includes python
mapscript and gdal python bindings.  It does not include PHP.

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Best regards,
warmerdam at pobox.com