International text characters

Robert Jones xbobwjones at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 17 08:32:32 EDT 2005

Hi

I posted a couple of weeks ago and have not been able to solve my problem
with international text characters not displaying properly..

I am using a shapefile with text fields encoded in LATIN1, and am almost
certain that the truetype font I am using to label supports these characters.

Can anyone help?  I stuck..

I'm thinking it must have something to do with either the font, libiconv, or
ms4w - which I used to set up mapserver.  Has anyone else experienced
similar problems with ms4w?

I am setting up the the layer as follows:

#Towns layer
  LAYER
    NAME "bart_caps2"
    GROUP "twn"
    STATUS ON
    DATA "twn_p"
    TYPE POINT
    CLASSITEM "CODE"
    UNITS METERS
    SIZEUNITS PIXELS
    MINSCALE 0
    MAXSCALE 58936139
    LABELITEM "COMMENT"
    LABELCACHE ON
    POSTLABELCACHE FALSE
    TOLERANCE 0
    TOLERANCEUNITS PIXELS
    TRANSPARENCY 100
    METADATA
      "Description"    "bart_twn"
    END
    #end metadata
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"
    END
    #end projection
    CLASS
      NAME "bart_twn"
      EXPRESSION ([CODE] > 70 AND [CODE] < 72)
      LABEL
        TYPE TRUETYPE
        FONT ARIAL
        ENCODING LATIN1