Cleaning the /tmp directory

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue May 24 13:02:14 EDT 2005

Ken -

If you are trying to serve multiple simultaneous requests, with
everything competing to write and then read files from the temp
directory, the disk I/O to that drive can become a serious bottleneck.
If heavy usage is not a concern, then this may be a non-issue.

I have never seen failures due to MODE=MAP (rather than being caused by
something else) and I've used it about a billion times (literally <g>).
I would be leery of blaming failures on MODE=MAP without some diagnosis
about the cause.

     - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ken Lord
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:48 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Cleaning the /tmp directory

James,

I use the method you mentioned, 'MODE=MAP', to generate snapshots for
query results. It works great to highlight each individual item returned
by a map query, placed next each item's attributes.

However,  Since mapserver 4 and later have come out, often the images
fail despite the log statement of 'normal execution'.

I have simplified the maps as much as possible, and I'm sure that its
not a lingering syntax difference between 3.6 (where it worked great)
and 4 or later. The failures are not consistant either.  Why they don't
either all work or all fail, or at least all the same features queried
fail consistantly? I have no idea.

So I'm leary about suggesting people use MODE=MAP for all their maps
just to keep their temp folder's empty, especially when a simple .bat
file can be used to empty them regularly.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC