RAM vs Performance, how much is more than enough?

Gregor Mosheh stigmata_blackangel at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 30 12:57:30 EDT 2005

> The speed differential between RAM and disk
> hits is so very high, that more RAM in combination
> with caching (which every modern OS and
> database does aggressively) will make things run
> faster.

Wow, even just a plain ol' webserver running a CGI?
Good to know - thanks a lot, Paul.

On a related note: Apache 2 offers file caching. I've
tried running Apache 2 with the usual CGI-PHP setup
and MapScript, and the webserver would randomly freeze
every few days, even under light traffic. Is anyone
using Apache 2 and MapScript under Unix with good
results? I may have been using the wrong MPM (prefork,
which sounded safe).