ArcMap - GetFeatureInfo URL missing the LAYERS parameter?

Bonnie Stewart Bonnie.Stewart at DLI.WA.GOV.AU
Tue May 31 22:03:39 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm working on a few WMS services for my organisation (still very much in the development stage), and I'm testing my mapfiles in IE 6, ArcMap 9.0, ArcExplorer 4, ArcExplorer 9, and Gaia 2.1.0.

Thus far I've been unable to get GetFeatureInfo requests (via the Identify tool) working in ArcMap - if I use Identify on a particular layer, I always get "Nothing found", and if I use it for a group of layers, I get a blank response. Querying the same area in Gaia 2.0.1 works fine, either on that layer or the group as a whole.

I've used my webserver logs to compare the URLs used by both Gaia and ArcMap for GetFeatureInfo Requests. Below is the entry in the webserver log for ArcMap's GetFeatureInfo request (edited for readability & path removed).

2005-06-01 00:33:24 10.0.0.11 GET /scripts/mapserv.exe

map=<path>\wms_1-250k.map
&VERSION=1.1.1
&REQUEST=GetFeatureInfo
&SRS=EPSG:4326
&BBOX=104.859217282479,-53.2952,162.115782717521,-2.5148
&WIDTH=946
&HEIGHT=839
&QUERY_LAYERS=hotspots_200505161346_P_A_MOD14.shp
&STYLES=
&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_xml
&&INFO_FORMAT=text/html
&FEATURE_COUNT=50
&X=343&Y=283

If I reverse engineer this into the appropriate URL and test it in IE, I get an XML document back containing the error "msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter."

Now the interesting part: if I then add on to the URL "&LAYERS=hotspots_200505161346_P_A_MOD14.shp" (same layer as the QUERY_LAYERS parameter), then I get a nifty response back - features are found and displayed via my html template. Incidentally, Gaia's URL does include this parameter.

Is this a bug in ArcMap's WMS compliance? How can I get around it??

All advice much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Bonnie

Bonnie Stewart
Research Officer
Satellite Remote Sensing Services
Department of Land Information

Email: Bonnie.Stewart at dli.wa.gov.au
Phone: 9387 0342

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the use of the addressee(s).  It may contain information that is confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure, distribution or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you receive this in error, please notify the author by Return email to the sender. Information in this message not relating to the official business of DLI shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.  While every care is taken, it is recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses. DLI liability is limited to re-supplying affected attachments.