New to GIS

Anthony Brown ant at VICROU.NET
Tue Nov 1 03:32:29 EST 2005

Hello,

I am very new to the world of GIS, infact two days ago I didn't know what it
stood for...

However, I have a project I want to get done and I have spent a lot of time
reading over the past couple of days and I now know what GIS stands for,
along with a few other things.
This might not be the best place to post the question but here it goes:

I want to make an application that can print out a route on a map of how to
get from address A to address B. I have talked to companies that sell data I
would need, address info, along with roading info (one way streets etc) but
I wouldn't know where to start to actually make the application.

I have got mapserver installed and running, I tried following the tutorial
but can't find out where to download the examples.

The technology looks like something I could learn and I am willing to put in
the time reading manuals, tutorials, and reading case studies, but I would
like some help narrowing down the materials I need to cover.

Specifically this application will need to run online, possibly using
something like kamap.
It will need to work from mapinfo files (mid/mif, tab) because thats the
format I can get the data in.
Maybe these files can be put into a PostgreSQL database, i have seen the
postGIS word floating around a few sites.
It will be a New Zealand data set, starting with the major cities.

Any ideas?

Thankyou
:Anthony Brown

BICT (Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology)
http://www.webchalk.co.nz