Tab, Shp, Shptree, PostGIS performance

Erki Saluveer erki.saluveer at REGIO.EE
Thu Nov 3 05:59:24 EST 2005

My shptree files are:
Myshp.dbf
Myshp.prj
Myshp.qix
Myshp.shp
Myshp.shx

Anyways it does read qix file, because test results are a bit faster with
qix file, but the difference is very-very small.

What else could be the reason?
I've been looking Mapserver user-list archives and haven't found anyone
making this kind of tests. Maybe someone has done and could put his/her
results. It would be nice to compare.

Erki Saluveer

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bart van den Eijnden
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:39 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Tab, Shp, Shptree, PostGIS performance

Hi,

how do you reference your shapefile in your MAP file?

Maybe your data statement contains myshp.shp and then the qix file won't be
found (it looks for myshp.shp.qix then).

Your data statement should look like:

DATA "myshp"

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera IT Solutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl

>>> Erki Saluveer <erki.saluveer at REGIO.EE> 3-11-2005 11:22 >>>

Hi

I've been using Minnesota Mapserver for a while with a big success. Though I
haven't understood completely which file formats to read fits best for
Mapserver.

Biggest mystery is shape file. It should be the fastest file format to read,
but it's been the slowest in all my tests.

Like one test I made with Mapinfo TAB, ESRI shape, PostGIS database table
and shptree file.

I had at first one MapInfo dataset (33 Mb). To get shape file I translated
it with MapInfo's Universal Translator. From shape file I made qix file with
shptree in depth 8 and using shp2pgsql I created database entry file (I also
indexed postgis table)

Then I put together 4 different map files to read these. Test was made with
single and concurrent queries (500 queries for each map file).

The results are as follows:

File Type

Time per request

Time per concurrent request

TAB

78

30

SHP

835

579

SHP with qix

822

580

PostGIS

69

19

* Times are in milliseconds

Why is shape so slow?!? I appreciate any help to find answer to this
question.

Sincerely,
Erki Saluveer