POINTS data appearing only at large scales

Holger Dürer hdurer at YAHOO-INC.COM
Wed Nov 9 12:35:18 EST 2005

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Holger Dürer wrote:
>
>>  [...]
>> I have a simple shape file with points (state capitals).
>> The LAYER is quite simple, STATUS default, a NAME, TYPE points, DATA
>> ..., a CLASS with a STYLE ... that's it.
>>
>> The layer will only render the points at a very large scale, once I
>> zoom in past a certain value they disappear completly. Note that I
>> did not add any MAXSCALE to my CLASS...
>>
> [...]
> It would be helpful if you could post your mapfile. If it has lots of
> stuff in it you might want to remove all the layers except the POINT
> layer. This works fine on dozens of mapfiles I have so it is probably
> some other issue in the mapfile.

Yes, apologies for asking a question without much supporting information.

For the moment, the problem seems solved though -- I did finally come up
with a search query that resulted in an email exchanged related to some
Oracle problems where the sata was in a problematic format.
I use shapefiles (generated from a  MID/MIF file pair) but tried this
anyway and did have luck by converting the files explicitly to POINTs
(i.e. "ogr2ogr foo.shp foo.mif  -ntl POINT foo").  I have no idea what
format it is without the "-ntl POINT", but with this option it now works...

Sorry again for the vague question
    Holger