Internal Server Error: "Premature end of script headers, php.exe"

Jennifer Zeisloft jzeisloft at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 9 19:35:39 EST 2005

Hello All,

I am dealing with what seems to be the infamous problem of "Premature end of
script headers". I have read through the list responses, checked the syntax
of my mapfiles, but all without coming across a solution. From other posts
to this list, I am guessing this is a MapServer issue rather than Chameleon
(though I could be wrong).

The error occurs somewhat randomly: when certain (not all) WMS layers are
included in a map context or added to a map (through Chameleon's WMS add
layers tool), the map breaks down after one or two (maybe three)
navigational operations, like zooming, or after adding other WMS layers. I
think the bottom line is two or three map-refreshes one way or another. I
have tested this with a number of WMS layers from a number of different
servers. While there are some layers for which I cannot reproduce the error,
many eventually lead to the same error. First, the browser notes an
"Internal Server Error". Second, the Apache error log states:

[Wed Nov 09 18:13:04 2005] [error] [client 144.92.46.35<http://144.92.46.35>]
Premature end of script headers: php.exe, referer:
http://maps.aqua.wisc.edu/lscmp/viewmaps.phtml
[Wed Nov 09 18:13:04 2005] [error] [client 144.92.46.35<http://144.92.46.35>]
File does not exist: C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/favicon.ico

Our installation currently includes ms4w 1.2.1 and chameleon 2.2 on Windows
XP. Lately, I have been receiving the standard Microsoft Error Report
pop-ups on the server for an error that the "PHP Script Interpreter
encountered a problem and needed to close". I am suspicious that this may
have something to do with it (and have asked our IT administrator), but
really know very little about it.

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions you could offer. Thank you
in advance for your help!

Jennifer Zeisloft
UW Sea Grant