some problem on the source code(gml reader)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Nov 15 09:46:57 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, Taka Wong <taka_www at sinaman.com> wrote:
> Can anybody tell me where does the action of reading gml? Does it using
> Xerces? since I can only find the parsing function for xsd file, but not
> gml.

Taka,

As Bart mentions, it does depend on Xerces for reading
the GML file.   The gmlhandler.cpp code is actually used
to interprete the start/end tags as it is called back by
Xerces.  The gmlreader.cpp code "manages" the handler
and takes care of assembling things into features.   The
GMLReader::PrescanForSchema() method makes one pass
through the GML file trying to build up schema information
suitable for writing to the .gfs file.

Xerces supports a variety of character sets; however, it is
quite likely that I always coerce the results back to an 8bit
encoding in which case proper handling of 16bit characters
may be problematic.

I would add that the cpl_minixml.cpp parser used for the .gfs
file is not "encoding aware" and is likely to cause problems
with proper encoding handling.

Future discussion on the OGR GML driver should really be
on the gdal-dev mailing list.

Best regards,