Hardware for serving lot's of Raster

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 21 00:07:24 EST 2005

Hi Shoaib, Ed,

If I may interject into your great hard drive summary ...

The new SATA II hard drives should also be considered, they can also
be placed in RAID arrays.  They are roughly the same price as IDE but
perform much better, especially in RAID.  I'm sure the high end SCSI
drives are still better, but SATA II gives a lot of bang for the buck.

SATA is related to SCSI, my SATA II drive is listed by Windows XP as a
SCSI drive in my Device manager.

For a direct comparison,  my 7200rpm Samsung SATA II NCQ 8.9ms 80gb
drive transfers 2.5 times more data in a given time than my 7200rpm
Western Digital 8.9ms 80gb IDE drive. Both drives are worth around
$75.

The new NCQ feature (native command queing) allows the harddrive to
process requests in the most efficient order to reduce seek times
...in older hard drives request are handled in the order they are
received.  NCQ can give a 25% boost in performance by minimizing seek
times this way.

SATA II can handle a bandwidth of 3Gb/second, compared to 133Mb/s
bandwidth for IDE, and 150 - 300Mb/s for the older SATA drives ...
3Gb/s is far more bandwidth than what the hardware itself can fill.
Which is where RAID comes in.  IDE RAID is still limited to the
133Mb/s IDE bandwidth limit,  the more drives you add, the more you
will hit the bandwidth limit. SATA II RAID has a lot more bandwidth
room to work with.

There is a lot of confusion with the SATA II specification.  NCQ, and
hot-swapping for example are possible, but not required by the spec,
so you have to be sure of what you are buying. You have to be sure
that the rest of your system can run SATA II drives.

Unfortuneatly I can't compare any of this directly to SCSI, I don't
know the numbers on them, hardware is a hobby for me, I'm not an
expert ... but given the prices, I do hope that they are that much
better.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC