Assistance please

Lowell.Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Mon Nov 21 10:11:58 EST 2005

Jon Lukes writes:

> I have been trying to figure this out all day.  I have mapserver set up on a
> fedora server and I believe everything is installed properly because I can
> get one of the Itasca Application(The DHTML rubber band box) working great.
> I also have the USGS mapsurfer and it seems to be having the same problem.
> Acoording to the Apache error log on all maps except one "File does not
> exist: /directory/..."   I then checked my Apache access log where I
> discovered on the one map that does work each request is "GET
> /cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/directory/...." for 3 requests and  "GET
> /cgi-bin/mapserv?mode=..." for 3 requests and this page creates map
> properly.  Whereas, on the pages that don't display the map properly the
> first request is "GET /cgi-bin/mapserv?mode=browse&map=/directory/...." The
> follow requests are "GET /directory/../filename..." and these requests cause
> my error of "file does not exist".  My question is what is where might my
> problem be coming from.  I have been trying to narrow it down but would
> really appreciate any suggestions.  If more info is needed to debug please
> let me know.

Jon,

Needless to say, this could be a whole host of things.
There isn't quite enough information (for me at least) but if you're not
getting errors when mode=map that is the place to start looking. Mode "map"
writes the output directly to the browser instead of to a file first. It may
just be a permission issue if Apache doesn't have rights to create a file on
/var/www/html/directory/../filename .
HTH

Lowell