java mapscript and j2ee

Bas Vanmeulebrouk bvanmeul at EBE.UCT.AC.ZA
Tue Nov 29 05:03:29 EST 2005

Hello Juan,

A couple of weeks ago, I posted this message as a response to a similar
question. Does this answer your question?

Bas.

I am not very experienced in Java MapScript either, but I may have some
code which may be usefull for you. In my servlet, I have got a
MapServerMap object to encapsulate MapScript. I create this object like
this:

  public MapServerMap(String aMapFileName) throws Exception {
      super();

      try {
          File f = new File(aMapFileName);
          if (f.exists()) {
              Map = new mapObj(aMapFileName);
          } else {
              throw new Exception("Map file not found: " + aMapFileName);
          }
      } catch (UnknownError e) {
          throw new Exception(ErrorMessages.errCreatingMapServerMap);
      } catch (Exception e) {
          throw new Exception(e.getMessage());
      }
  }

And I use it like this for instance:

  public void Zoom(int aZoomFactor) {
      float x = Map.getWidth() / 2;
      float y = Map.getHeight() / 2;
      pointObj point = new pointObj(x, y, 0.0, 0.0);

      Map.zoomPoint(aZoomFactor, point, Map.getWidth(), Map.getHeight(),
Map
              .getExtent(), null);
  }

After I have done all the panning, zooming, filtering and turning layers
on and off I draw the map like this:

  public String Draw() throws MapServerException {
            try {
          /*
           * Draw the map and return the URL under which it was stored
           */
          imageObj image = Map.draw();
                    String fn = "map_" + getUniqueID() + "."
                  + Map.getOutputformat().getExtension();

          image.save(StringUtils.CheckAndAppend(image.getImagepath(),
"\\") + fn, Map);

          return StringUtils.CheckAndAppend(image.getImageurl(), "/") + fn;
                } catch (UnknownError e) {
          throw new MapServerException("Error drawing map.");
      }
  }