MS Foundation web presence question

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Nov 29 10:15:45 EST 2005

Charlton Purvis wrote:

> I have been paying attention to the spirited dialog re. yesterday's
> announcement.  But I may have missed something along the way, and I have
> just taken my first look at the .org site.  If the Foundation is still in
> its early stages, who has been working to release what I see here?
> http://www.mapserverfoundation.org/mapserver_enterprise/download.html  And
> for how long?

MapServer Enterprise was all the work of Autodesk so far, including the
preparation of the packages that you downloaded.

BTW, one thing that may not be clear is that MapServer Enterprise has
had and will continue to have its own development team, independent of
the current MapServer (Cheetah or whatever it's called) team that you
know already. We (the Cheetah developers) are not planning to all move
to Enterprise overnight and leave Cheetah behind, I would expect that a
good part of the initial Enterprise team will be Autodesk developers,
and hopefully a few outsiders will join over time. Some of us may
eventually work on both teams (I can definitely imagine doing that
myself), just like we are often already involved in half a dozen
projects, but the direction of each software team will be independent,
they will just share a common foundation umbrella.

> I'm still downloading the whopping 125MB demo from here
> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=6153839.  Long
> gone are small installs.

I hear ya. Hopefully they will learn over time to make the distributions
more compact. (or we'll teach them, since we're working together now, ya
know)

> That site refers to that d/l as AutodeskR
> MapServer Studio - Preview, and it's terribly confusing how that relates to
> what we're calling Cheetah or Enterprise.  That is, if it is supposed to
> relate at all.

AFAIK MapServer Studio relates only to Enterprise, so it should be named
MapServer Enterprise Studio.

> And not to belabor the point, the .org website appears to leave little doubt
> that there are 2 separate beasts (Cheetah and Enterprise) that already have
> names.

You're right that the website may have been designed based on the
assumption that the names were final...

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca