My MapServer Foundation thoughts / Auto Desk Mapserver Enterprise

Stephen Clark spclark at NBNET.NB.CA
Tue Nov 29 11:40:25 EST 2005

I must add my comments as a person that has used / developed application
in many of the web mapping products listed here on the list for many
years.

I first must say that I agree with Ed McNierney and am a bit more
pessimistic about the future of the original MapServer product.

I feel that Autodesk took the great Mapserver name brand and are taking
credit for the Enterprise edition when it appears that this product is
not really a Mapserver product but an Autodesk product.

I think the original Mapserver product should be named the "Mapserver
Enterprise" product and Autodesk product should be noted as an extension
to Mapserver.

Quoted from below:
As far as we here in our group see, the naming is terrible. I have an
idea... let our product be "MapServer Enterprise" (as loath as I am to
elongate the name), and let Autodesk call their product the "Autodesk
Plug-in/Extension for MapServer Enterprise."

I also feel that in the next few years that by giving the Mapserver name
away to AutoDesk you have essentially moved the once great Mapserver
product to a platypus recognition as a "dinosaur in the Web Mapping
product area."

Stephen