current OS license and the Source that lies ahead

Gary Lang gary.lang at AUTODESK.COM
Tue Nov 29 17:22:03 EST 2005

The concern here seems to be about Autodesk creating a fork.

Let me state for the record: we (Autodesk) have no interest in seeing
this happen and no control to make this happen even if we did. None. The
people in charge of MapServer today are the same people that were in
charge a week ago. The license is the license. We will be minority
voters on the board of the foundation. Where is the concern coming from?

The MySQL concern is a valid one. We struggled with it ourselves. At the
end of the day, we would certainly like people to buy a commercial
version with support, etc. But the fact is, they can use the community
version of MSE and do what they want with it and not pay us a dime. Or
they can use MapServer. Nothing we do - nothing - can stop this from
being the case.

In terms of our commercial goals - we're more interested in the RedHat
model than the MySQL model, if that helps this to make any sense. We
believe we and our partners can do well selling support and services on
top of MapServer products. And we don't care which one they choose if
they're working with us, though we'd like to see them value the work we
did with MSE.

Does this clarify things?

Gary