MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Paul Scott pscott at UWC.AC.ZA
Wed Nov 30 08:23:19 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 06:52 -0600, Puneet Kishor wrote:
> Second, gives the impression that there are other editions of MapServer.
> Which leads to more work and confusion... which one should I get, what
> will I lose, what will I gain.

I must agree here. Mapserver is Mapserver, it's a rock solid piece of
software that can be used quite comfortably in "Enterprise" situations,
or for my own personal use displaying my GPS tracks across Africa.

The word Enterprise implies that regular mapserver is old and inferior,
which is certainly not the case. Enterprise editions also imply that it
is non-free and costly to maintain - not the image I would like to
convey to my clients (If I did mapserver apps commercially of course).
Mapserver CE implies buggy code that is not officially supported.

--Paul