epiphany about the idea of the Foundation

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Wed Nov 30 08:28:14 EST 2005

> " You are missing the point that the creation of a MapServer
> Foundation in no way required the contribution of any code
> from Autodesk."

Maybe the two actions together are the bane here.  What if the MapServer
Foundation was established independent of the gracious Autodesk
contribution?  The naming / optics of the Autodesk contribution didn't
help, either.

> Yes, this is true. Now I understand the sense of the
> "precondition" in your comment. I would say that if we
> weren't allowed to contribute our code, then we'd have gone
> it alone, so you are correct.
>
> Some people are complaining that they woke up and Autodesk
> was involved in the MapServer community, and some don't like
> it. (Some do, BTW.)
>
> But the only other scenario is that the same people would
> have woken up Monday and found that there was a now a
> competitor. Because no matter what we were going to put that
> code into open source and work hard to make it successful. If
> the assumption is that we would be unable to create a
> community, the assumption is faulty - many other companies -
> some larger than us - have done so, and the people who did it
> for them are available to us as well. We had a non-zero
> probability of success taking that approach.
>
> But instead we're trying to embrace the one that's there who
> has done such good work, to sing its praises, and spend our
> money and brand equity to help it do so. We think a united
> approach is better than a go-it-alone approach.

Exactly.