MapServer and Foundation naming

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Wed Nov 30 13:57:43 EST 2005

P Kishor wrote:

> It is still not clear what exactly will Autodesk's codebase contribute
> to the MapServer codebase, if anything at all. Will it, won't it? Will
> it forever be a separate but equal product? Why does it even need the
> MapServer foundation?

I have tried to explain the positioning of each project/product and of
the foundation in the following email, that should address many of hte
questions:

http://lists.mapserverfoundation.org/pipermail/discuss/2005-November/000017.html

P.S. Please don't jump on the online forum vs mailing list question at
the beginning of the email, we've beaten this one to death before and we
already know our respective positions on that.  :)

> but what good does it do to MapServer? If those 5000 are going to go
> to the msfoundation website, see a cheetah and an enterprise, they are
> going to choose the latter. If that doesn't work for them, they are
> never going to come back, unless they are unlucky to be forced to use
> the large, unwieldy product.

I think it's clear that the Enterprise bit hurts. But how do we move
forward? I still think that sharing the MapServer name sounds like a
good idea.

Let's say we get them to change Enterprise to something else, i.e.
"MapServer <some_animal>" and "MapServer Cheetah" (change the animal
names to anything as long as it's nice distinctive names)... the idea I
think is to have something similar to Mozilla Firefox vs Mozilla
Thunderbird, do you (not just you, but the community as a whole) still
see a problem with something like that?

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca