Map Wrapping

Steven Monai stevem at SPATIALMAPPING.COM
Wed Nov 30 14:03:14 EST 2005

Hello Denny:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is
any mechanism in MapServer to "wrap around" the earth as you suggest. To
MapServer, the world is a flat 2-dimensional plane, since that's the model
that most GIS datasets use. To get the proper "wrap around" effect, I think
MapServer would have to interpret the source data coordinate pairs as
spherical-polar coordinates (azimuth/zenith), rather than as cartesian
coordinates (x/y). AFAIK, MapServer does not currently support spherical-
polar coordinates.

Regards,
-SM