MapTools & Foundation

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Wed Nov 30 17:21:23 EST 2005

Good question.  MapTools will continue to exist as is for now.

There was some discussion of the MapTools name being donated to the
new Foundation for exactly the reasons you have indicated, but
ultimately the folks around the table wanted a name that was not
already associated with a commercial entity.  While we have tried to
make MapTools pretty neutral, it is associated with DM Solutions Group.

What happens to projects that are hosted on MapTools right now is
probably up to the individual projects.  It has not yet been
established what the rules of membership in the new foundation will
be so not all projects may even be eligible for membership (although
I hope that is not the case).

Cheers

Paul