MapTools & Foundation

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Wed Nov 30 17:26:06 EST 2005

M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Where does maptools.org fit into all this?  Is the plan that
> libraries like GDAL/Shapelib/etc be then moved over to be the
> foundation's projects?
>
> Or going the other way, was a Map Tools Foundation considered?
> Seems like it would be a good umbrella for lots of diverse
> projects including the two map servers.  The domain's right
> there, and I'd hate to see function of maptools.org as a focal
> point of open source GIS be split off into two.  (Although, I'm
> not sure if the projects on maptools would all care to be
> subsumed into a foundation.)

Yes, the MapTools Foundation was considered as a very serious
possibility, and personally I found that this name would have made lots
of sense, but eventually it didn't fly for a few reasons, those that I
remember are:

1- It's too closely tied to DM Solutions and may have given the
appearance that it's not completely independent. Making sure that the
foundation was seen as being entirely vendor neutral from day one was
extremely important. This was not a problem if we used a name such as
MapServer, and the name MapServer seemed to make lots of sense too, as a
recognition of the achievement of the project and its community of users.

2- That would have lead to an issue of what to do with the projects
currently on maptools.org and that may not belong or want to move to the
foundation right away. I think this could have been addressed, easily
thought with two classes of projects: hosted projects and foundation
projects for instance.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca